NASA Opens Accreditation to Social Media for Spacex Launch

Sept. 25, 2012

John Yembrick/Jason Townsend
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1584/202-358-0359
john.yembrick@xxxxxxxx / jason.c.townsend@xxxxxxxx

RELEASE: 12-336

NASA OPENS ACCREDITATION TO SOCIAL MEDIA FOR SPACEX LAUNCH

WASHINGTON -- NASA is inviting social media users to apply for
credentials for the Oct. 7 launch of the first contracted cargo
resupply flight to the International Space Station under NASA's
Commercial Resupply Services contract.

The SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket is targeted to liftoff at 8:34 p.m. EDT
from Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in
Florida. A back up launch opportunity is available on Oct. 8.

Social media users selected to attend the SpaceX launch will be given
the same access as journalists in an effort to align the access and
experience of social media representatives with those of traditional
media.

"We look at this as a natural extension and an evolution of the NASA
Social concept," said Bob Jacobs, deputy associate administrator for
the agency's Office of Communications. "Just as radio, television,
and other media expanded the definition of 'the press,' we're going
to open our doors to influential and interested people who engage in
social media activities and invite them to work alongside traditional
media."

People who actively collect, report, analyze and disseminate news on
social networking platforms are encouraged to apply for media
credentials. There will be no special badge, tour or program for
social media attendees. Selection is not random. Those chosen must
prove through the registration process they meet specific engagement
criteria.

Qualified attendees will have the same access to the event as news
media and may view the launch, participate in media briefings, tours
and other available opportunities. All social media accreditation
applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis. A maximum of
50 participants will be chosen from online registrations.

NASA Social media accreditation for the SpaceX launch opens at 6 p.m.
EDT Tuesday. International social media users without U.S.
citizenship must apply for credentials to cover the prelaunch and
launch activities by Wednesday, Sept 26. For U.S. social media, the
deadline to apply is Wednesday, Oct. 3. For more information about
NASA social media accreditation requirements and to register for the
SpaceX launch, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/social

The highly successful and widely recognized NASA Social events will
continue. Since 2009, NASA has hosted more than 40 events as a way to
engage the social community in an open and lively conversation about
various exploration projects and programs. The agency's social media
efforts have been recognized as among the best in federal government.
NASA recently has been soliciting questions from social media using
the
hashtag #askNASA.

"Earlier this year, the Fiscal Year 2013 budget news conference at
Headquarters in Washington was the first time we invited social media
participants to join reporters," added Jacobs. "After expressing
initial concerns, we believe traditional media were pleased with the
outcome. We look forward to evaluating how everyone works together
this time."

For a comprehensive list of NASA social media websites, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/connect

For more information about SpaceX or the Dragon spacecraft, visit:

http://www.spacex.com

For more information about the International Space Station, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/station

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx