Problem using MPlayer and ALSA

Hi,

> I see no improvement using -cache option :
>
> ./mplayer rtsp://mylink/monfichier_mp3.
mp4 -ao alsa -ac ffmp3 -cache 8192
> -cache-min 4
>
> Message is always the same when sound is crashing :
>
> [AO_ALSA] Write error: Broken pipe Audio : 100.1%
> [AO_ALSA] Trying to reset soundcard.
>
> Another indication : when I use ALSA, pourcentage indicated (100 *
> audio_time_usage / mpctx->delay) is always about "100%". When I use OSS,
> the
> value is smaller : about "10%" maximum.
> I have noticed that when I use ALSA, it tries to decode much data at the
> same time than when I use OSS. Maybe, there is a link ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Pierre
>

>> which alsa device are you using since you only specify -ao alsa ?

>> what is the default device ?  ( pulse , hw:0,0 or plug:dmix:0 )

Indeed, when I specify a device (hw:0,0), it works !

So, I have some questions because I don't really understand why...

First, what's the default device used by MPlayer with ALSA ? How can I see
that ? Does it create a latency which causes trouble to MPlayer to decode
audio sample in time ?
What device do you recommend ? Is there a good tutorial explaining that ?

A last thing : I have noticed that if the pourcentage is now smaller than
before at the beginning, it's continually increasing throughout the
playback. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Pierre