Re: bkl: Pushdowns for sound/oss ?

On Fri, 21 May 2010, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> I've patched up what there to build without warnings but that doesn't
> make any less ugly or wrong.  I'm trying to motivate a few folks to
> offload the work from you; until that has happened it might be nice if this
> driver would stick around as some form of documentation.

 The driver is of less use as an OSS module than it would be with ALSA.
It only offers one sample rate of 48kHz (that is the native frequency of
the codec) and my experience is 44.1kHz or its aliquots are what most
pieces of OSS client software expect (at least such that is not capable of
resampling itself).

 I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to keep this piece around -- the
kernel repositories are not meant to lose their history IIUC, so the
driver will be available from an older revision for the foreseeable future
anyway.  This has happened to other drivers too, even those that were of
actual interest to people.

> As for the grandchildren - is there something I haven't heared of yet?  :)

 Me neither, but I've thought I could perhaps borrow some from a friend or
suchlike and consider the matter ticked off. ;)

  Maciej