Re: migrate from sun to redhat?

Your question is a little vague, you could copy the files using NFS,
RCP, SCP, FTP, UUCP, And I'm sure numerous other network protocols, plus
you wouldn't want to forget, Tape, CD-R, Zip, and Floppy.

I'd pick NFS.

on the old server edit the exports file to share the files you want to
copy. on linux it's located at /etc/exports  solaris might have it
someplace else.

on the new server NFS mount the old server
mount oldserver:/sharename /mnt/floppy

then copy your files
cp -R /mnt/floppy/files/* /destination/location/for/files/

plus look at the options for Copy, there is an Archive option I beleive
that will keep the permissions and the dates the same, if that kind of
thing floats your boat.

On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 06:19, Hahasrin Hashim wrote:

> Hi,
>  How to copy/transfer current data from existing server running solaris 7
> to a new server running redhat linux? .. then .. my plan is to switch it
> over when everything is complete without lots of downtime... i've got both
> machine setup with NFS & NIS. Any help? maybe steps by steps .... thanks a
> lot...
>

> regards
> H. Hashim
> Dept. of Mathematics
> University of Southampton
> Tel: +44 (0)23-80595132
> Internal: 25132

Jeff Bearer, RCHE
Webmaster, PittsburghLIVE.com
Winner 2002 Eppy Award, Best U.S. Newspaper Website