postgres DB authentiation errors

Hi all,
an update from an older postgres-database (7.3.x ?) to 7.4.2 is very difficult
because i think there are a lot of bugs:

The main problem is that i use an apache webserver and the DB on the same
server.
I can modify pg_hba.conf  in various way and i always get this error in the
browser:
Warning: pg_connect(): Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: FATAL: IDENT
authentication failed for user "xyz" . in <path>/xxx.php on line y

First i try "local  all  all  ident  sameuser" in pg_hba.conf, so i can
connect via postgres-user from the shell.
The second try (i used for some years) "local  all  all  ident  trust" produce
always authentication errors on the shell AND on the browser-GUI.
I don't understand that!

If i add more users (useradd) and modify there passwords with "alter user xyz
with password 'yyy'" it's the same negative response.

I see that an input from a DB-dump always use the postgres user.
Tried with "psql -f db_dump" or with "\i db_dump" from psql with various
users.

So i created several manual edited DB-dumps in the moment but the main problem
is not solved.

Hope you have some ideas (or a step by step guide for frustated dummies :-))
for the next few weeks for testing.

The DB is the postgres-package of Fedora Core 2.
Before i deinstall the old version i done a "pg_dumpall" for my two databases.

Greetings,
Tobias

--
Tobias Kaboth