SUMMARY: Mail Locking

Thanks to Pablo Jejcic, Brett Geer and Jason Price for their replies. Initial suggestions were to make sure there were no .username or username.lock files hanging around (that would survive a reboot) which would keep the mailbox locked. The problem definately wasn't locking, so the mailbox was invalid in some way. There is probably a more elegant way to validate a mailbox, but I used webmin and transfered all the mails into an empty mailbox, and then discovered the offending mail (not read by webmin either). Ironically, it was spam :)

Darren wrote:

Hi,

I have a redhat 9 system running sendmail, fetchmail, ipop3d and spamassassin serving about 25 light load users (500 mails a day max). I have seen problems with mailbox locking before as a result of a dropped connection and they usually sort themselves or I can kill the process, but I have the following in /var/log/maillog

Jul 4 12:25:28 wws-fs ipop3d[21506]: pop3 service init from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Jul 4 12:25:28 wws-fs ipop3d[21506]: Can't open INBOX (file /var/spool/mail/pi-jane): not in valid mailbox format
Jul 4 12:25:29 wws-fs ipop3d[21506]: Error opening or locking INBOX user=pi-jane host=[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
Jul 4 12:25:29 wws-fs ipop3d[21506]: Login user=pi-jane host=[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] no mailbox
Jul 4 12:25:29 wws-fs ipop3d[21506]: Logout user=pi-jane host=[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]

The client is told 'error opening users INBOX'.  The two scenarios,

- mailbox format is not valid
Usermin also runs on this machine to allow checking via the web. Usermin is still working fine, so perhaps it has mangled the file in some way it can still read it. What are my options for verifying this?

- something has a lock on the file
I can see no evidence of a lock using 'ps' or 'lsof'. The machine has also been restarted and the problem still persists.

I've been googling for a while now and can't find a solution ...

Thanks,
Darren