chkconfig

For all of those who replied to me about my chkconfig problem I thank you.
My issue was that when I tried to change the run levels for named to 345,
the script did not seem to be changing. In other words, I would run
chkconfig named on or chkconfig -levels 345 named on but when I then ran
chkconfig -list, named was still turned off on levels 345. Many people sent
me emails saying that I had to restart named or the named service in order
for named to start. I actually knew and understood that but could not
understand why the config was not changing. What I eventually did to get
this working was to change a portion of the init script that I was using at
the time. Initially the script had # chkconfig 55 11 at the top. I had
changed it to # chkconfig 345 55 11. Now I thought that that should work but
when I tried the aforementioned chkconfig -levels 345 named on, it would not
work while that line was in the init script. Once I took it out and tried
again . all was well. I am still not really sure why this worked this way
but that appeared to be what was wrong.

On another note, I have another issue that is driving me a bit mad. I am
running webmin-1.140-1 with Red Hat ES 3.0, openssl-0.9.7a-33.4,
perl-5.8.0-88.4. I am trying to set up ssl encryption for Webmin and I get
the following error:

The Net::SSLeay perl module does not appear to be installed on your system.
To install the OpenSSL library and Net::SSLeay, follow these instructions
<http://www.webmin.com/ssl.html>  from the Webmin website.

Alternately, you can have Webmin download
<http://ebony.zuka.net:10000/cpan/download.cgi?source=3&cpan=Net::SSLeay&mod
e=2&return=/webmin/&returndesc=webmin%20configuration>  and install the
required Net::SSLeay Perl module for you.

The error message from Perl was : Can't locate Net/SSLeay.pm in @INC (@INC
contains: /usr/libexec/webmin /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .)

So, first I try to do this thru the Webmin interface and I get the following
errors:

Executing  Makefile.PL  && make ..

sh: line 1: Makefile.PL: command not found

Installation of Net_SSLeay.pm failed. Check the output above and try
installing manually.
You can also install the module from CPAN with the command perl -MCPAN -e
shell

So then I try it with CPAN and I get the following:

            SSLeay.c:6832: `SSL' undeclared (first use in this function)

SSLeay.c:6832: `s' undeclared (first use in this function)

SSLeay.c:6832: syntax error before ')' token

SSLeay.xs:3408: `SSL3_RANDOM_SIZE' undeclared (first use in this function)

SSLeay.c: In function `XS_Net__SSLeay_get_server_random':

SSLeay.c:6848: `SSL' undeclared (first use in this function)

SSLeay.c:6848: `s' undeclared (first use in this function)

SSLeay.c:6848: syntax error before ')' token

SSLeay.xs:3415: `SSL3_RANDOM_SIZE' undeclared (first use in this function)

make: *** [SSLeay.o] Error 1

  /usr/bin/make -j3 -- NOT OK

Running make test

  Can't test without successful make

Running make install

  make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

**note that there is a ton of similar errors preceding this snippet here**

I read that Net::SSLeay was not compatible with openssl-0.9.7a-33.4 but only
0.9.7b. These are all installed via rpm and so this is the only version
available. I can install this stuff from the tar ball but for ease of
updating and maintenance I had elected to use as much rpm as possible.

Can anyone help me out here (sorry for the long message)

Cheers

Dave