Answer to SUMMARY Firewall Distros&In-Reply-To - pop3proxy addon for ipcop

hi, i read your post below,

you stated
"IPCop provides all of the above except POP3 mail proxy"

... thats not quite true, i made an unofficial addon with exact this
functionality, the pop3mail proxy filters viruses (with fprot and clamav with
automatic signatur updates), spam (with spamassassin and razor)  and uses
renattach to rename, delete file attachments based on their filetype

i was in exact the same situation as you where and i was testing lots of
distros, but none really satisfied me (i was impressed about astaro, but i
was a commercial product), as ipcop was one of those i like most, and since it
was fully open source i decided to pack a few programs
together to get this pop3proxy functionality

available at http://www.madlener.tk if want to try it

bytheway i'm using the same pop3 proxy astaro is using, they started with
pop3vscan, added some patches and released them to the public,
now a fork named p3scan continues the development of the original pop3 proxy
(the original author was available any more), so i'm using p3scan as well

have fun
regards markus madlener

====================
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. My original post is below.

I got a few suggestions to try ClarkConnect. Unfortunately, the Home
Edition ("free" version) does not include mail filtering. I was told
that the latest beta Home version has add-ons available that will do
this but I didn't try it.

I also received one response recommending Astaro. I have tried Astaro at
home and was very happy with it. Unfortunately, I cannot give it to
clients because it isn't "free" for business use.

So, I decided to add POP3 filtering to my IPCop firewall using a couple
of Open Source products: pop3filter and renattach. If anyone is
interested, the instructions (and binaries I compiled) are here:
http://somebodyhelpme.info/POP3IPCOP/pop3ipcop.html

-sr