Partition Filesystem backup / verification

Hello,
I am devising a plan to backup server's filesystems before they are converted (moving from Redhat 6.x to Debian 3.0).
right now dd of=/dev/sda3 of=./servername-sda3.img works great, but I need to be 100% sure that everything is fine with the filesystem image.
In order to verify that sda3 and the image file are the same I am using md5sum, dd if=/dev/sda3 | md5sum > device.md5sum
and md5sum servername-sda3.img > image.md5sum. This is all done at the same time (i.e. backup, then verify)
My question is will the process I am using actually detect problems or is it just redundant (i.e. the system would generate a read error or write error if there were an actual problem). Thanks in advance.

Sean McAvoy Network Analyst Megawheels Technologies Inc.

Phone:	416.360-8211 x242
Fax:		416.360.1403
Cell:		416.616.6599