ftp'ing to a newly created RedHat box.

Hello,
I'm trying to ftp over to a box which was just created runing redHat Linux
and
all I'm getting is:

ftp testvg
ftp: connect: Connection refused

I could ftp from the Linux box to outside but not from outside to the Linux
box.
I had been working with these files but not luck so far:

 4 -rw-------    1 root     root         1906 Mar 12  2002 ftpaccess
 4 -rw-------    1 root     root          464 Mar 12  2002 ftpconversions
 4 -rw-------    1 root     root           39 Mar 12  2002 ftpgroups
 4 -rw-------    1 root     root          113 Oct 15 14:40 ftphosts
 4 -rw-------    1 root     root          145 Oct 15 14:05 ftpusers

I had removed the "root" user from the file ftpusers and have also added
machine name to ftphosts and restrated the xinetd process but nothing seems
work. Can someone shed a light here.
Thanks,
Vinnie.

-----  This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain
you receive this message in error, please delete it and all copies from your
system, destroy any hard copies and notify the sender. You must not,
directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part
of this message if you are not the intended recipient. Nomura Holding
America Inc., Nomura Securities International, Inc, and their respective
subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications
through its networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the
individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender
is authorized to state the views of such entity. Unless otherwise stated,
any pricing information in this message is indicative only, is subject to
change and does not constitute an offer to deal at any price quoted. Any
reference to the terms of executed transactions should be treated as
preliminary only and subject to our formal written confirmation.