lights-out management

Hello List,

We are currently testing with a proliant DL580, quad xeons and 16gb.
We've installed RHAS and oracle9i and we're evaluating the platform as
an alternative to SUN boxes. One thing that has always been important to
us is lights-out management so we're looking at the integrated
lights-out feature of the DL580, called ilo. The ilo allows us to
connect to the box via https and remotely manage it. We can log into the
console or power off and on the box and actually interact with the
various bios features during boot up.

Heres the problem. The standard licensed integrated ilo doesn't support
a graphical console so if the box is in run level 5, I can't get into
the console to login. If I go down to the datacenter and do "ctrl/alt
F1" to put the display on a virtual terminal with a text login I can
then use the ilo remote console. Unfortunately, I have to run an xdm on
the box and allow xdmcp logins. Is there a way to boot to run level 5
but have the console display only text mode?

A work around would be to purchase an advanced ilo license from HP which
does support a graphical console but an alternative would be great.

Thanks,
Vic Engle