OFF-TOPIC: Not Business-Critical/Business Related (SuSE 8.2 lpdproblem)

First off, this is NOT a business critical or business related question so
I'll understand if I get no replies. Thanks in advance, just the same.

Have just made the switch from RedHat 8/9 to SuSE 8.2 AT HOME. We're loving it
but I've been struggling with an apparent tcp wrapper/lp issue and would
appreciate informed opinions if anyone' got any to offer.

For starters, we've got two workstations. Each has its own local printer
(don't ask. the wife likes having her own). Both were configured with yast2
and I'd confirmed that both HP DeskJet 895CXi printers worked fine initially.

Problem started when I added "ALL: ALL : DENY" to their /etc/hosts files.
Subsequently, neither box would print.

FIRST CLUE:

When printing fails, /var/log/messages says:

"Jul 21 12:11:41 juniper lpd[2044]: connection refused from unknown"

SECOND CLUE:

I can get both boxes printing by adding the following to hosts.allow:

lpd : 192.168.110.0/255.255.255.0 LOCAL UNKNOWN : ALLOW

Printing stops if I remove the 'UNKNOWN' and no combination that consisted of
just IP/netmask/localhost addresses has worked worth a darn.

It's as though the boxes cannot determine where the lp request is coming from.
/etc/hosts and related host id stuff is fine as far as I can tell. Both boxes
have permanently assigned host name and IP addresses. Both can ping themselves
fine and uname works properly. Haven't been able to nail down why the requests
get rejected *AND ACCEPTED* from 'unknown'.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

P.S.: Several folks have asked me why I mess with hosts.deny but no one has
given me any good reason not to. So, please respond as though this is a must
do. Much appreciated.