high-end routing

I've got a RH7.3 box that I have succesfully setup to route 4 subnets
out to our upstream provider. Routing-wise, everything works fine. My
problem is that every 5 minutes (almost to the second) the box starts
dropping packets like mad, and generally just goes unresponsive. The
server itself is not locked up, but pinging either of it's interfaces,
or pinging through it fails utterly. Oddly enough, about 1 minute later
everything returns to normal. It is important to note that this is a
_heavy_ traffic network, passing approximately 20-30Mb/s through those
interfaces. There are no IPTables rules in the way (i've removed all and
still see the behavior). The box itself should not be a problem, I
think: dual P3-700 512MB ram, dual 3Com 100TX FD. I have also confirmed
that it is not a problem on our upstream. So I guess my question is: are
there kernel tweaks I need to do to better tune this? Is an ARP cache
getting updated too frequently? The regularity, and the return to
normalcy really make me think it's some setting I just need to tune, but
so far I haven't come across anything terribly helpful.

Any thought are appreciated.

Thanks, Matthew
--
Matthew Boeckman			(816) 777-2160
Manager - Systems Integration		Saepio Technologies