NIS - can't enumerate maps

I'm in the process of setting up NIS on two Red Hat 6.2 servers.  I've only
ever done this once before and that was between a Mandrake 8.1 and a RedHat
7.1 server.  I've gone through the NIS/NIS+ HOWTO but I always run in to a
problem when I try to initialize my slave server.

I've got the master server up and running.  The slave can connect to the
master as a client and changes to the NIS maps on the master work on the
client.  However when I try to initialize the slave server I get the
following message:

Can't enumerate maps from <servername removed for security reasons>. Please
check that it is running.

Now, since the server I'm trying to set up as a slave works fine as a
client, the master server must be running.  I've looked at everything I can
think of and the troubleshooting tips in the HOWTO don't even cover this in
the slightest.  In fact, all the tests in the HOWTO generate the results
they are supposed to indicating that the server should be working correctly.

Anyone have any clues?  I'll post my config files if anyone needs them, but
I'm sort of thinking this may not be related to them directly.

Thanks in advance!

Bryn