Re: Troubles with chrooted Debian

Dne 5.1.2012 01:41, Paul Hartman napsal(a):
On 1/4/2012 4:32 PM, Pavel Řezníček wrote:
My current one and only card is TDK 8GB Life on Record, class unknown
for now.

I’m not sure if I can buy one from Amazon directly because I’m neither
an US nor UK resident.
Still thanks for your recommendation, it’s very valuable for me.
Replace Amazon with "trusted store" in your country who does not sell
counterfeit products. (So, do not buy SD card from eBay, DealExtreme, etc.)
I’ve just purchased a SanDisk 16GB Micro SD card but it’s not class 6 as stated before but class 4, actually. I expect it to arrive on Monday January 9th, it means tomorrow.
I’d though appreciate if you send me the precompiled kernel module
(along with some instructions or web resources how to install it).
It is attached inside a ZIP file. This module is only for use with stock
kernel, not power kernel!

…

If your card was affected by this bug, hopefully using this module will
now allow your card to work with no more corruption (after reformat).

Dear Paul, I tried your module. Everything went OK! … until I tried to rsync everything from the card to an image file stored in ~/MyDocs. I tried it twice and in both cases an unwanted reboot and filesystem corruption occured, inspite that I ran rsync with the nice -n 19 prefix.
I called rsync from a bash script with "sudo nice -n 19 <that_script>" actually. I suppose that every child process inherits the niceness of <that_script>.

But I also tried to perform a sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade before. That worked pretty good except that some corruption was already present on the filesystem (after an fsck repair) that didn’t allow the upgrade to finish. Next time I’ll try on a fresh Debian partition.

So it appears that:
– the dist-upgrade seems to work :-) thank to the fixed kernel module from you, Paul;
– as the image file became involved (during an rsync backup process), the reboot and corruption occured twice already :-( ; the image file and the partition on the microSD card both became corrupt;
– maybe I should
  1. forget about the image file for now,
  2. concentrate myself on work with the microSD card partition,
  3. use the image file as a read-only rescue backup solution and
  4. back the system on the card up to another place than to the mounted image file on my device, i. e. to my PC, or use dd instead of rsync.
Anyway, other ideas to figure out what’s going on here? Why is my N900 rebooting unexpectedly even when I am very nice to it?

Thank you, Paul and Michael, for your suggestions! I hope we’ll finally find the way out of this weird story ;-)

Pavel
--
function Podpis(): String;
begin
  Jméno('Pavel Řezníček');
  Bydliště('Borová 18', '312 00', 'Plzeň');
  Pracoviště('Korandův sbor', 'Anglické nábřeží 13', '301 00', 'Plzeň');
  Result := 'vývojář a správce sítě';
end;
begin:vcard
fn;quoted-printable:Pavel =C5=98ezn=C3=AD=C4=8Dek
n;quoted-printable:=C5=98ezn=C3=AD=C4=8Dek;Pavel
org;quoted-printable:Farn=C3=AD sbor =C4=8Ceskobratrsk=C3=A9 c=C3=ADrkve evangelick=C3=A9 Kora=
	nd=C5=AFv sbor
adr;quoted-printable;quoted-printable;quoted-printable:;;Anglick=C3=A9 n=C3=A1b=C5=99e=C5=BE=C3=AD 13;Plzen;Plze=C5=88sk=C3=BD kraj;30100;=C4=8Cesko - Czechia
email;internet:cigydd@xxxxxxxxx
title;quoted-printable:V=C3=BDvoj=C3=A1=C5=99 a spr=C3=A1vce s=C3=ADt=C4=9B
tel;home:+420373541714
tel;cell:+420721456079
url:http://reznicek.er.cz
version:2.1