Re: Troubles with chrooted Debian

Am 02.01.2012 12:01, schrieb Pavel Řezníček:
> My dear Maemo friends,
>
> On my N900, I use the /Debian chrooted system/ but I /very often run
> into troubles/ with it.
>
> To read quickly, go after the words /in italics/ ;-)
>
> I just need to compile the /Lazarus Free Pascal IDE/ for my device
> and/or to /develop applications with it./
> Sometimes it happened when I had Debian in an image file that /my N900
> suddenly crashed and switched off/ during the installation of some
> packages into Debian. So I ran fsck, expecting some damage to the
> filesystem in that image file. But the corruption appeared so heavy that
> it was /basically unrepairable./
> This happenened /very frequently/ so I started to keep a backup of the
> standard 2GiB image. Still, the loss of work was /very annoying…/ it’s a
> bit time consuming to backup 2GiB of data after each single step, don’t
> you think so?
> OK, I thought it was better to use a physical device, an MMC SD card. So
> /I’ve formatted an 8GB card to ext3/ and /copied/ all the contents of
> the Debian image onto it using rsync.
> I’ve then modified the /home/user/.chroot configuration script accordingly.
> All has worked fine except that during installation of the compiled
> Lazarus (make install) /a copy command has frozen for all the night./
> That was strange, so I pressed /Ctrl+C with no effect./ I tried to
> /Close Debian./ /It has also hung./ So I’ve turned my device off.
> OK, the first run of fsck on /dev/mmcblk1p1 has just /recovered the ext3
> filesystem journal./
> I’ve been curious then if there were some errors left there, so I’ve run
> /fsck -f /dev/mmcblk1p1. Ouch! A destruction of the fs again!/
>
> *The side question:*
> /Is it a good idea to check an ext3 filesystem right after a journal
> recovery? Or should I first mount it?/ I’m apparently lacking an
> essential knowledge here.

I think fsck before mounting is never a bad idea. When the fs is damaged
the mount can make things even worse.

> *The main question:*
> /Is it possible to avoid severe filesystem damage/ during just normal
> but io-intensive operations /on the Debian for armel on the N900?/

I am using my debian on an ext2-Partition for over a year now on two
three different cards- never had any problems like you.
I also use another ext3-Partition on the same card for data, the same
here: no problems.

Have you ever considered your sd-card may be broken or simply not
suitable for the n900?
Do you have the possibility to try another one?
I using a Patriot 32Gb Class 10 now, before it was a Transcend 16 GB
Class 6.

CU Michael
--
BOMBING for peace is like FUCKING for virginity.