Re: Sensors configuration for Asus P5PE-VM motherboard

> On Friday, March 7, 2014 10:24 PM, Jean Delvare <jdelvare@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>  Which brings me to this idea for the voltage scaling guide: would it be
> possible to list some common scaling factors for +5V and +12V as a look-up
> table, if the list isn't going to be long? I bet it would help others who
> will be faced with the same conundrum as I did when deciding which scaling
> factor should be used, if the computation didn't yield a desirable value
> that corresponds to the BIOS samples taken when verified.
>
> I thought about it already, unfortunately the list would be too long.
> Each chip has its own recommended settings, and each board maker has
> its own habits. So it is possible to look-up existing configuration
> files for the same chip and/or board maker, once you have a suspect,
> but having a big list with all the possibilities wouldn't work, I'm
> afraid. And in many cases it would be useless anyway, as the board
> makers are incredibly creative with their new models.
>
> It shouldn't be needed anyway... I didn't use the information to come
> up with the right value, I only used it as a second confirmation that I
> got it right.
>

> --
> Jean Delvare
> SUSE L3 Support

I was leaning towards a table sorted by monitoring chip, listing possible common scaling factors under each chip that have been encountered in the past. And I was hoping that the board makers' implementation for each monitoring chip would be uniform so that this list would be manageable and could work, but unfortunately and like you said, it would be a mix-and-match fest with each board maker having its own habits, even perhaps varying across models as well.

ianp