Re: Support for SMBus based GMT G781 and G7811 temperature sensors.

Hello, Jean!

GR>>> never mind; no idea if G7811 ever really existed. I found version 1.3
GR>>> of the datasheet which describes both G781 and G781-1. Can you test
GR>>> the driver and sensors-detect if I send you a pointer to the code ?
??>> It seems that this patch is ok, except for one thing.
??>> Let me explain what I did. I added support for ACPI SMBus connected to
??>> Embedded Controller to the lm-sensors (for a netbook without proper
??>> ACPI support). There are two G781 sensors connected to this bus, one
??>> to the address 0x4C and one to the 0x4D. Both sensors have 0x01 as
??>> device id. But patch assumes that only G781-1 can be connected to the
??>> 0x4D address.
JD> If they followed a naming logic similar to National Semiconductor, G781
JD> will have address 0x4C and G781-1 will have address 0x4D. They are
JD> basically the exact same chip except for the address, so the driver
JD> doesn't even need to know, other than the fact that both addresses 0x4C
JD> and 0x4D are possible.

Now driver checks only for 0x03 device id at address 0x4D, which is not correct. 0x01 device id can be present at 0x4D address too. That's all I'd like to say :)

With best regards, Mike Gorchak. E-mail: lestat@xxxxxxxx