USB Serial Converter driver and multiple devices

Hello!

I recently got myself a 3G USB modem, which uses the usbserial driver. I have to give the usbserial module the vendor and product IDs as command line arguments for the driver to work with my modem. I also have a Matrix Orbital LCD display that uses the same usbserial driver. Luckily the LCD display uses the usbserial driver via ftdi_sio, which has the display listed in its MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE.

Now this got me wondering, what if my LCD display (or some other device) did not use ftdi_sio, but usbserial directly, and would thus need the vendor and product IDs as command line arguments also. As usbserial does not have MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE, devices using the usbserial driver directly need to pass the correct vendor and product ID command line arguments.

But is it possible to give multiple vendor/product arguments when loading a module? If not, then one of my devices would not work. Obviously, some kind of wrapper driver with MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE would be needed. Is there already a generic one, or what is the recommended take on this kind of problem?

My 3G modem actually worked with the Gobi Serial (CodeAurora) driver after setting the device ID in the MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE, so I wouldn't have a problem right now even if I had another device using the usbserial driver directly. I also understand this would be a rare situation and hardly a practical problem, but I'm just asking.

Cheers,
Olli