Re: Warning from USC core on kernel 3.13

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014, Larry Finger wrote:

> Alan,
>
> The Lenovo Yogi 13 tablet comes with a Realtek RTL8723AU wireless device built
> in. Realtek sent me a driver that I modified so that it would build on new
> kernels, and created a GitHub repo so that it would be available to the
> community. One of the users of this driver is reporting intermittent warnings
> that say
>
> WARNING: CPU: 1 PID: 0 at drivers/usb/core/urb.c:452 usb_submit_urb+0x205/0x5d0()
> usb 1-1.4: BOGUS urb xfer, pipe 3 != type 1
>
> The full splat is available at http://pastebin.com/VcFPd4Yt.
>
> As no other user has reported this problem, I think this is some kind of problem
> with the wireless device or the adapter on this box. Even so, I would like to
> know more about what is happening. In addition, Jes Sorensen at RedHat is
> working on making the driver suitable for submission to the staging part of the
> tree. Just in case other uses run into the problem, it would be good to know if
> a fix is possible.
>
> Can you suggest any addition logging for when this situation occurs? The user is
> generating his own kernels, thus we can add any patches we want.

You probably don't need any additional logging.

The WARNING is telling you that the usb_read_interrupt_complete()
routine in the 8723au driver called usb_submit_urb() with an incorrect
pipe value.  The URB specified a BULK pipe, but the endpoint in
question is actually an INTERRUPT endpoint.

Alan Stern