Re: Passing argument to USB Storage driver

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 02:48:20PM -0800, Kevin Lloyd wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2008 1:28 PM, Matthew Dharm <mdharm-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 12:28:35PM -0800, Kevin Lloyd wrote:
> > > The device is an emulated external CD-Rom. The reason I'd like to have a
> > > parameter or some other user-space input is so that the user can enable/
> > > disable a feature in the driver without having to re-compile the driver.
> >
> > What sort of feature are you talking about?
>
> The emulated external CD-Rom is part of an automatic install feature
> and it will not always behave the same way upon start-up. The way this
> feature has been designed is that it is controlled via USB vendor
> specific control messages from the driver. Ideally the settings that
> dictate how the driver acts are editable from user-space (preferably
> non-volatile) and do not require re-compilation of the driver.

Why not use libusb from userspace to send these control messages?  Why mess
with the driver at all?

Do these control messages look anything like SCSI commands?  Or are they
real "control endpoint" messages?

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx