Re: USB.org Compliance

On Thursday 03 January 2008, David Lopo wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am developing an UDC driver for a new USB function controller
> and I don't have any hardware already supported by the current kernel :(

Easily fixed,  :)

> I would like to know the compliance status of gadgets "g_zero" and
> "g_file_storage".
> Is there any way to check it with using "dummy_hcd"?

Not really; compliance testing includes USBCV, which AFAIK has no way
to run through dummy_hcd.  Even if you run MS-Windows as a guest in
some virtual machine.

> If not, can anyone help me with the following questions, please?
>
> 1. After I test my driver together with gadget "g_zero" with test set
> USBTEST (www.linux-usb.org/usbtest), shall I expect a lot of effort to
> make it Chapter 9 compliant?

Nope.  It's the other way around actually ... usbtest is a LOT
better at finding bugs than UBCV is.  (Which probably explains
a lot about why buggy USB devices are so common!)  Test #10 is
especially good at finding races and other less-common bugs.
If you can pass Test #9 you've almost got USBCV covered.

> 2. Didn't find information about mass storage compliance of
> "g_file_storage", did anyone test it with USBCV?

Yes.  I don't recall it reporting any problems.  But again,
that's hardly a demanding test.

- Dave