Re: PXA27x UDC Power

On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Thomas Giesel wrote:

> How about adding a module parameter for g_ether which describes
> the power consumption? After adding this patch this even could
> go to the kernel main line, because it is not device specific
> but can be configured at runtime.

That would work.  I don't like relying so much on module parameters
for things that should never change over the lifetime of a product,
but I'd not deny that can be made to work.

> Do you have a reason to support more than one configuration?

Avoiding unnecessary restrictions on the device.

> (e.g. you could *always* ask for 500 mA when your device is
> connected to the host, which means that it mustn't be connected
> to a unpowered hub - which is acceptable for this kind of devices, imho)

... *that* kind of unneccessary restriction.  It's not like the
board requires 500 mA to operate ... it's only that when it gets
only 100 mA it may not be able to recharge as quickly.

> btw: I'll try to do something very similar in the next days.
> Did you use these: http://wiki.enneenne.com/index.php/PXA27x_UDC ?

I saw an earlier version.  I'm still hoping someone submits
a decent version of that driver ... one that doesn't require
changes to the whole gadget stack to cope with Intel's odd
notions about configuration management.

- Dave