Which tape drive hardware offers the best value

I need  suggestions for tape drive hardware/cartridges  for home server
backup.  Approximately 40 Gigs of data.

I just tried to upgrade my DDS4  tape drive for server backup to a DAT
72 (DDS5).  I  was told by both the sales  people and the manufacturer
that the  new DAT 72 could  read my old  DDS4 tapes.  But I  tried two
drives and both  irretrievably jammed and needed to  be sent back with
my test tapes stuck fast in the mechanisms.

Is there a  tape hardware platform which is  inexpensive enough to use
at home and also contains a good upgrade path?

Thanks,

Marc