Re: issues with using blkid to automatically bring up swap devices

> Jeffrey Law (law@xxxxxxxxxx) said:
> > Seems reasonable for now.  Though this does make me think that we're
> > going to need something even better or we're going to have to bite the
> > bullet and make fstab persistent client state (ugh).
> >
> > Imagine a farm of VM servers (Xen or VMware).  The only purpose of the
> > host machines in the farm is to provide virtualized access to hardware
> > resources (disk, memory, cpu, etc).    In this kind of setup you can
> > easily imagine the hosts configured as stateless servers with their
> > attached storage being used by the virtual machine guests, including
> > local swap partitions for the VM guests.  ie, it's plausible to even
> > have local swap partitions that we don't want to use, even if we've
> > opted-in to autoconfiguring swap.
>
> Move to regulated LV naming?
Not familiar with it.

If we think about the larger issues with dealing with attached
storage, particularly in the presence of VMs I think the questions
we need to address are:

  1. Should this partition be mounted on this host (or guest VM
     instance).  If so, where.

  2. Should this paritition be exported by NFS, if so, to what
     hosts and with what options (ie, what does its entry in
     /etc/exports look like).

  3. Should a particular hunk of swap space be used on this
     host or not.

Note that #1 and #2 can be resolved by embedding that information
into the filesystem itself.  So when scanning attached storage the
host can mount the fs read-only and peek at mounting/export rules
and take appropriate action.

I don't really see a way to do the same with swap space.  But that
might simply be my inexperience with LV naming.  Is there something
built into LV naming to do this already or are we just imposing our
own set of rules on how we name LVs from which we can deduce how to
cope with these issues?

jeff

[Index of Archives]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Share Photos]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Linux Media]     [Device Mapper]