Re: Trivial Image Creation code

On 7/12/06, Jeffrey Law <law@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 11:51 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> The main issue is that people want their stations to power up pretty
> quickly and have a complete running system in about the same time as a
> disked station.
Yea.  I haven't timed it, but the boot times seem comparable, at least
on a small network of machines.

The interesting case is how well does the system handle all the machines
in the building rebooting after a power bump.  This problem was largely
avoided in the past simply because the servers took *far* longer to
fsck their disks than they do today, fsck time dominated the time to
reboot the building.   So the fact that we were deep on the backoff
timers for tftpboot really was a drop in the bucket.

Hmmm yes.. the diskless section I dealt with had close to 100 diskless
boxes per server using a 'build each new image when you upgrade'. It
took about 5 hours and lots of boxes having to be restarted to
rebuiild all of them on gigabit.

These days the server reboots fast due to log based filesystems, so
I'm sure the dominating factor is going to be new.  Even something
like the puppet bits which take a couple seconds might be significant
and relevant.

THis may be an unrelated problem than what you are talking about.. in
that case just let me ramble on.

A fix we thought about was building a very upstream server that would
make a lot of file coverage/building on the server.

Box PXE boots first time gets just enough stuff to say "I am new
please build me". This would put the box into a cfengine class that
had the server do all the hardlinks with the master files that
wouldn't change but were not 'sharable'. The box would just poll the
server until this was done.. and then schedule a reboot which would
put it into the end class it needed (diskless engineer, diskless
admin, etc).

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator

[Index of Archives]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Share Photos]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Linux Media]     [Device Mapper]