Re: MultiPath TCP in the Linux Kernel

Hi Peter,

On Thursday, January 20, 2011 wrote Peter Chacko:
> Is there any document that shows the difference of SCTP multi-streaming and
> MPTCP ? SCTP team has done lot of great workin in load-balanced
> multi-streaming work across multi-hopped hosts. I am curious to learn more
> on your work in the context of this.
MPTCP can be compared to SCTP-CMT. Regular SCTP just uses one path for a
stream and thus does not increase the throughput.
At http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be/mptcp/ is a master  thesis from a student, where
he compared plenty of different multi-path transport solutions. Have a look at
the document "multi-path congestion control" from Arnaud Ongenae on this
website.

> Does MP-TCP make use of CM ? (Congestion Manager, created out of MIT) for
> sharing congestion states across TCP ensembles ?
No, MPTCP uses the coupled congestion control. However, this congestion-
manager might be an interesting extension to mptcp.

> How does it work with a firewall that will allow only a session that is the
> reply of a SYN packet from inside firewall ? (Because other parallel
> streams of TCP doesn't send SYN to the same destination, and how will the
> firewall will allow the replies of this other session go through ? )
You mean the case, where a server has 2 interfaces, and a client (behind the
firewall) establishes a MPTCP-session to the server?
The server will tell the client about it's available addresses.
Additionally, the server will try by itself the establishment of the
additional subflow. This attempt will get blocked by the firewall.
As the server sended its set of addresses to the client, the client will also
attempt to establish a new subflow. This attempt will pass the firewall as it
comes from the inside.

> Is there any commerical use  of this work ?
Our implementation is still in alpha-state. There are still missing features,
and it's not yet 100% stable. It's a major modification of the TCP/IP-stack
because packets from the subflows need to get pushed up to the 'meta-
connection' and reordered there.

> Will this also support message level TCP packet exchange ? (So that  main
> strengths of SCTP are "in" to the TCP stack ).
What do you mean with "message level TCP packet exchange" ?

Best regards,
Christoph