Re: SUSE question wrt RT locking primitives

On Fri, 2012-04-13 at 07:34 +0200, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> SUSE is looking for a straight up answer, I've been tasked with asking
> the question: can RT maintainers be convinced to fix the RT tree such
> that locking primitives do not switch from 'OK' to TABOO' at the flick
> of a config switch?  It is understood that "yes" may have undesirable
> side-effects :)
>
> Background:
>
> The migrate_enable/disable() EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL thing came up yesterday
> again with yet another customer stuck using yet another proprietary
> driver for proprietary hardware.  The choice for the customer/user is
> use what exists, knock on proprietary doors, or go look at platforms
> where the proprietary gizmo they need or want to use just works.
>
> So that's where the question comes from.  Life would be easier if RT
> didn't trigger the Dr. Jeckle -> Mr. Hyde thing.  You know all about
> where what happens to which locks, so I'll just snip what I had quoted
> and needlessly commented on to keep this as short as possible ;-)

I have no problem with making those non-GPL, as the original stance of
-rt back in 2005 was to not have -rt be any different than the vanilla
kernel in that regards. But I don't know if that policy changed since
then, nor am I the one that has the authority to remove the GPL tags
from those functions.

-- Steve