Re: rt file i/o

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 18:32:41 +0100
Tim Blechmann <tim@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> well, if i understand the rt howto correctly, _no_ disc access is
> >> allowed, neither from rt nor from non-rt threads, since it may produce
> >> page faults, which introduce latencies ...
> >
> > I would be supprised if the rt howto states that page-faults in non-rt
> > threads is a critical problem - that would not significantly impact RT
> > performance - atelast not the worst case - it will (as every other system
> > load) impact the average case. so having a non-rt thread reading disk-files
> > to a buffer and a rt-thread processing this buffer should be perfectly fine.
>
> that is what i thought for years ... but according to [1] a page fault
> in an rt process freezes the entire process with both rt and non-rt
> threads until the page fault is handled ...

No, we need to get that fixed in the wiki. It may have been the case
that the entire process was frozen while a fault was being handled, but
I don't believe that is the case now. If you're in a thread on core0
and a sibling thread on core1 faults, you shouldn't be impacted unless
you're trying to reference the same memory.

Clark