Re: [RFC] Proposal to change Node Description naming scheme for HCA's

On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 12:45:45 -0600
Jason Gunthorpe <jgunthorpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 03:27:35PM +0000, Heinz, Michael William wrote:
>
> > Any ideas on how we could solve the hostname problem while we're
> > changing the description?
>
> The node description needs to be set from the DCHP notifier script
> chain (eg /etc/network/if-up.d/ on Debian) and also from a udev rule
> triggered on device insertion.

Jason, I'm confused.  Do you mean DHCP?

It seems are you indicating you would like to see if[up/down] bring ports up/down like they do for IP?

On my ubuntu box (the closest thing I have to Debian) it looks like ifupdown owns /etc/network/if-up.d and that is not specific to DHCP.  I don't think DHCP should be required for IB.

Using udev to set this __seems__ like a better idea although I have not prototyped it.

> It should probably not be set from the openibd script..

I agree there might be better ways but I am not sure I follow your proposal.  Furthermore, I don't know that a start up script of some sort is all that evil.

Finally, I think Michael brings up a good point about which package should own any such scripts.

Ira

> Jason
> --

Ira Weiny