Re: Using pppd as a library

Hi James,

> > Can somebody help me with this. Is there any pppd library already
> > available?
>
> To my knowledge, it's never been done.  When I was with a start-up many
> years ago, I did modify the code so that it could handle multiple links
> at once, because we scaled to many thousands of links, but I still did
> the control and monitoring through an IPC.  (No, I don't have that code
> ... it went with the start-up.  :-<)

we have written PPP from scratch for the oFono project for exactly the
same reason. We needed something in form of a library and not a daemon.

http://git.kernel.org/?p=network/ofono/ofono.git

Look under gatchat directory.

Especially when it comes to intermixing of 3GPP 27.007 and 27.010 with
PPP for online mode, the current pppd causes too much overhead. It is
not only that you have to spawn the pppd process and its extra plugin
for handling feedback. You also need to have a TTY or PTY to use it. And
that was causing overhead that was not acceptable to us.

Regards

Marcel