Re: perf stat: Doubt about stall cycle support

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012, Yipeng Huang wrote:

> Since I am on a much newer kernel, could it be the case that reading stall
> cycles is not supported by my hardware rather than by the kernel?

What kind of stalls are you looking to measure?

The core2 supports many kind of stall events.  Check out Intel Vol3b
documentation, or the libpfm4 showevtinfo utility for a list of them all.

perf only directly supports a small subset of "generalized" events, and
only then if a kernel developer bothers to hook up the proper events in
the kernel sources.

If you do find a likely event you want to use, you can make perf use it as
a "raw" event.

Vince