From: linux-perf-users-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:linux-perf-users-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Roland Dreier
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2011 8:36 AM
To: linux-perf-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: perf for analyzing userspace contention

Hi everyone,

Hope this question from a kernel hacker about profiling userspace isn't too dumb...

Anyway, suppose I have a multithreaded userspace app that uses a bunch of pthread_mutexes, and I want to figure out which locks are hot and/or heavily contended.  What's the best way to do that?  Is perf the right, or is there something better?  (This seems like such an obvious thing to want that there must be some good way to get this data, I hope)

Thanks!
  Roland