Re: Architectural question regarding IOV support in Linux 3.13.4

On Mon, 2014-02-24 at 19:22 +0000, Zytaruk, Kelly wrote:
> >On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 2:03 PM, Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >On Fri, 2014-02-21 at 14:11 -0700, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> >> [+cc Alex, Yu]

> >> Good question.  It looks like it's been that way since the beginning
> >> [1], but I don't know why.  I don't see any restriction in the spec
> >> about SR-IOV and legacy endpoints.
> >>
> >> I also don't know whether VGA is an issue.  There are some legacy
> >> addressing issues for [mem 0xa0000-0xbffff] and [io 0x3b0-0x3bb] and
> >> [io 0x3c0-0x3df].  For example, when a bridge has its VGA Enable bit
> >> set, it positively decodes [mem 0xa0000-0xbffff] even if that range
> >> isn't included in one of the bridge windows.  I don't know whether a
> >> VGA device is similarly allowed to decode that range even if it's not
> >> in a BAR.  If it is, I could imagine issues if enabling SR-IOV created
> >> several VGA VFs.
> >VFs cannot support I/O port space by definition, so I don't think a "VGA
> >VF" could actually exist.  There would be nothing wrong with a non-VGA
> >GPU VF though.  I also don't see how the differences in Legacy Endpoint
> >rules versus a standard Endpoint would preclude supporting SR-IOV.  I
> >don't think the SR-IOV spec makes any demands on whether the PF requires
> >I/O port resources, which I assume is the main reason for this to call
> >itself Legacy.  I'd guess it was likely just an oversight and we should
> >add legacy endpoints (or remove the test altogether and trust that if a
> >device has an SR-IOV capability, we should initialize it).  Thanks,
> >
> >Alex
> >
> >I agree. I vaguely remember there was some reason that excludes legacy
> >endpoints from using SR-IOV. But after a quick look at the latest specs,
> >I didn't find any.
> >
> Only Legacy Endpoints can claim I/O.  VFs are not allowed to claim I/O.
> VGA devices claim I/O.
>
> The SR-IOV spec 1.1 section 3.4.1.6 states
> “The Class Code register is read-only and is used to identify the generic function
> of the device and, in some cases, a specific register level programming interface.
> The field in the PF and associated VFs must return the same value when read.”
>
> If the PF is a VGA device then by the definition in the SR-IOV spec the class code
> of the VF would also indicate it as a VGA device, ie Subclass 0x0 = VGA,
> subclass 0x80 = OTHER_DISPLAY_CONTROLLER.
>
> Ideally we would want to have the PF sub-class as 0x0 and the VF subclass as 0x80
> But the spec doesn't support this.
>
> One speculation as to why Legacy endpoints were omitted might be the assumption
> that doing so would allow VGA VFs to be created.
>
> It is not reasonable to prevent a VGA PF from enabling SR-IOV as this is a real world
> possibility.  We might need to add more code elsewhere however to prevent a VF
> from becoming a VGA device outside of passing it through to a guest VM.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

Good catch, I think you'll need to contact the PCI SIG for
clarification.  A VF with a VGA class code implies I/O space that a VF
is not allowed to have.  I wouldn't be surprised if they had hoped VGA
was a non-issue by this point and legacy-free graphics were standard.

Probably the most appealing solution would be an ECN allowing the VF to
expose a different class code from the PF.  This seems generally useful
even beyond the scope of this legacy resource issue.  Probably a less
appealing option for you would be to expose the PF as a non-VGA display
controller, which avoids both the legacy endpoint problem and the VF
class code problem.  I suspect we wouldn't find a lot of support for a
software only solution to virtualize the class code unless it was
standardized.  Such a change would require support in every hypervisor.
Thanks,

Alex