Re: PCI Section mismatch error in linux-next.

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Thierry Reding
<thierry.reding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 01:32:45PM -0600, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Thierry Reding
>> <thierry.reding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Oh wow... looks like I've opened a can of worms there. This requires
>> > quite a lot of other functions to have their annotations removed as
>> > well. Bjorn, how do you want to handle this?
>>
>> David said "pdev_update_irq()," but I think he meant "pcibios_update_irq()."
>>
>> Almost all the pcibios_update_irq() implementations are identical, so
>> I think I'll just supply a weak implementation and remove the
>> redundant arch versions.
>
> That makes sense. However I've just tested a build with section mismatch
> debugging enabled on ARM and there are a few more that need __init or
> __devinit removed to get rid of the warnings:
>
>         pci_common_init()
>         pcibios_init_hw()
>         pcibios_init_resources()
>         pcibios_swizzle()
>         pcibios_update_irq()
>
> pci_scan_root_bus() also needs __devinit removed. I haven't checked the
> other architectures because I'll have to build cross-compilers for them
> first, but I suspect most of them will have a similar list. I'm not sure
> how well this kind of change is going to go down with the respective
> architecture maintainers, though.

Hmm, yeah, this is a mess, isn't it?  Just about everything in PCI
will need __devinit removed.  We've been assuming that the only way
for things to show up after init is via hotplug.  But you're breaking
that assumption by doing *all* enumeration after init.  There are
approximately a bajillion __init and __devinit annotations just in
drivers/pci, not to mention those in the architectures.

Well, maybe you just need to turn on CONFIG_HOTPLUG.  How would that
affect you?  I think we would still have to change some __inits to
__devinit, including pcibios_update_irq(), but it might be more
manageable.

I started working on this, but it sounds like you're in a better
position to find problems and test fixes, so how about if I just let
you handle it? :)

Bjorn