Re: 3.13-rc3 (commit 7ce93f3) breaks Nokia N900 DT boot

On Saturday 07 December 2013 14:48:20 Sebastian Reichel wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 07, 2013 at 09:18:32AM +0100, Pali Rohár wrote:
> > On Saturday 07 December 2013 01:00:27 Sebastian Reichel
wrote:

> > > That's basically what I did to fix the problem.
> > >
> > > I guess the proper fix would be a runtime check if the
> > > device can be accessed (if that's possible). AFAIK it is
> > > possible to use the AES module on the N900 if the
> > > bootloader is slightly patched.
> > >
> > > Pali, can you elaborate more about this? I've seen, that
> > > you added a section about this on [0].
> > >
> > > [0] http://elinux.org/N900#M-Shield
> > >
> > > -- Sebastian
> >
> > Yes, if you want to use M-Shield on Nokia N900, you need to
> > use new version of signed Nokia X-Loader which enable
> > M-Shield usage outside secure world.
> >
> > Because this updated X-Loader is not official and I think
> > nobody has it in n900, please disable using these M-Shield
> > crypto modules on n900.
>
> Is the updated X-Loader available somewhere?

It was on mediafire server linked from this thread:
http://maemo.org/community/maemo-developers/n900_aes_and_sha1-md5_hw_acceleration_drivers/

Now it is deleted from that server, but I have copy on my HDD.

> > Without patched updated X-Loader kernel will crash.
>
> That's what this thread is about :) It might be better to have
> a runtime check for the crypto hw's accessability by adding
> something like this to the driver's probe function:
>
> if (!aes_module_is_accessible()) {
>     dev_err(&pdev->dev, "Usage of OMAP's AES module is
> blocked\n"); return -ENODEV;
> }
>
> That would require, that aes_module_is_accessible() can
> actually be implemented.

You need to ask that question to somebody who has 1) access to
secure M-Shield documentation or 2) author who created that M-
Shield driver if your check is possible...

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@xxxxxxxxx