Re: [nfsv4] XATTRs in NFS

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 01:54:47PM -0700, Anand Avati wrote:
> >2. Why are current named attributes in NFS not the right answer.
>
> I think they might be, if we can map user.XXXX xattrs to named
> attributes and avoid any sort of interpretation of they key/values
> by NFS. Though from my point of view, all I care is for
> getxattr/setxattr of user.XXX keys to "just work" (whether they are
> mapped to named attributes or implemented as a separate feature).

That's an open question.  Are writes to xattrs supposed to be atomic?

Anyways, it seems at least one filesystem (XFS) maps xattrs onto a
hidden data fork (named attribute) for that purpose.  So, I'm guessing:
a) no, they're not atomic, b) named attributes should work... c) if
only we had a namespace to steal names from for this purpose.

Nico