XATTRs in NFS?

Hi.

I just wondered about the current situation (respectively plans)
regarding XATTRs in NFS (I personally don't care much about the
version,... of course v4 would be nice, but v3 should do either).

I'm aware about the patches for v3 that James Morris has submitted some
time ago, but AFAICS these were never accepted/merged.

Asking him (off-list) he mentioned that any such work would need to take
place in NFS4.

I've seen some comments from the past, saying that it should never
happen since it would cause performance issues - but I guess one could
make it optional.

I have some use case where I need a network filesystem with XATTR
support providing the features of most standard filesystems (locking,
etc.).
And I'm sure there are plenty more use-cases.

So are there any plans to get this into NFS?

Cheers,
Chris.

btw: please keep me CCed.