Re: simplify reconnecting dentries looked up by filehandle

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 04:39:28PM -0400, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> I tested performance with a script that creates an N-deep directory
> tree, gets a filehandle for the bottom directory, writes 2 to
> /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches, then times an open_by_handle_at() of the
> filehandle.  Code at
>
> 	git://linux-nfs.org/~bfields/fhtests.git
>
> For directories of various depths, some example observed times (median
> results of 3 similar runs, in seconds), were:
>
> 		depth:	8000	2000	200
> 	no patches:	11	0.7	0.02
> 	first patch:	 6	0.4	0.01
> 	all patches:	 0.1	0.03	0.01
>
> For depths < 2000 I used an ugly hack to shrink_slab_node() to force
> drop_caches to free more dentries.  Difference look lost in the noise
> for much smaller depths.

Btw, it would be good to get this wired up in xfstests - add xfs_io
commands for the by handle ops and then just wire up the script driving
them.

I'd also really like to see a stress test for cold handle conversion vs
various VFS ops based on that sort of infrastructure.