- Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC] vfs: make fstatat retry on ESTALE errors from getattr call
- From: Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 11:16:38 -0400
- Cc: "Myklebust, Trond" <Trond.Myklebust@xxxxxxxxxx>, Bernd Schubert <bernd.schubert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Malahal Naineni <malahal@xxxxxxxxxx>, "linux-nfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-nfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "linux-fsdevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-fsdevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "miklos@xxxxxxxxxx" <miklos@xxxxxxxxxx>, "viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "michael.brantley@xxxxxxxxxx" <michael.brantley@xxxxxxxxxx>, "sven.breuner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sven.breuner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- In-reply-to: <FA8A9A935BFD3A4D8F0CDA1C4F611BCC063CF8E132@IT-1874.Isys.com>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20120413150518.GA1987@us.ibm.com> <email@example.com> <4F8B1B7B.firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <4F8C3036.firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <FA8A9A935BFD3A4D8F0CDA1C4F611BCC063CF8E115@IT-1874.Isys.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <FA8A9A935BFD3A4D8F0CDA1C4F611BCC063CF8E132@IT-1874.Isys.com>
On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 10:48:42 -0400
Peter Staubach <pstaubach@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't think that the code ends up being all that complex, actually. I will have to dig out the patches that I had previously to look to see what they did. I am pretty sure that they handled all of these cases. I also had some tests which exercised the modified path based system calls and at least, at one point in time, they would run without returning ESTALE to the user level.
> Let me see what I can find. SteveD, you wouldn't have squirrelled away a copy of my stuff from Red Hat, would you?
Yes, your original set was very comprehensive, AFAICT. I'm not sure if
it'll apply to mainline well at this point, but I was definitely using
it as a guideline for what to do here.
The cover letter for the patchset that you sent out a few years ago had
a testcase in it. I was planning to use that to test once I start
broading this to other syscalls:
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-nfs" in
the body of a message to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
[Linux USB Development]
[Linux Media Development]
[Video for Linux]
[Linux Audio Users]