NFS v3 cached directory content out of sync

Hi there,

I'm experiencing a problem with NFS v3. After a rush of data written
to a particular NFS partition (to/from NetApp) I have noticed
directory listings between three different NFS v3 clients (doing a'ls
in the same directory) to see different content. The 'rush of data'
included approx 400GB (and took a few hours to do so). The
inconsistency that the three clients experienced was still the case 4
hours after the mentioned data rush.

I would 'somehow understand' that such a 'data storm' could maybe
overwhelm the NFS client's caches - and thus would 'accept' (although
not liking it) a delay between the client's cache updates. But that
such an inconsistency is still existing 4 hours afterwards is IMHO a
plain bug.

 Question 1: Would you agree that this is a bug or is it 'NFS as designed' ?

What I did having seen this is creating a new file in that directory -
and voila, all clients immediately got to see the right directory
content. This again calmed my nerves as in 'NFS still works'.

Having said that - I now did some more testing with this NFS cache
delay and noticed that file content updates between the three NFS
clients easily takes a few seconds - up to 10-15 seconds.

 Question 2: Is such a file content delay in NFS 'as designed' - I'm
assuming that fiddling with NFS mount parameters could put a 'defined
maximum' to such a delay? Or is there no such maximum and under 'bad
luck' situations it can go infinitely high (which would be Q1) ?

 Question 3: What is a suggested best-practice NFS mount parameter set
for complying with the following requirements:
   * lots of reads - tons of files - reads often from different files
   * few writes - but if written it should propagate to all NFS
clients 'immediately'
   * high load situations (as with the 400GB read/write stuff above) -
and after or even during this doing a 'ls' in a directory should
produce consistent results on different attached NFS clients

 Question 4: If we'd somehow manually detected such a directory
content inconsistency - would there be something like a 'hey NFS
client, flush all NFS caches NOW' thing?

 Question 5: any of this related to commit 37d9d76d8b3a2ac5817e1fa3263cfe
0fdb439e51: NFS: flush cached directory information slightly more readily. ?

Thanks for answers to any or all of above! :)

MUCH appreciated!

Regards,
Stefan