Re: linux-next: rebase/rewrite of the renesas tree

Hi Simon,

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 09:31:33 +0900 Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am not planning to send any pull requests for v3.11,
> at least not for the branches that I rebased.

Then none of that stuff should be in -next at the moment (not until after
v3.11-rc1 is released).  It just mucks up possible tesing for stuff that
is still to be merged.

> I can rewind the next branch if you like. If so, would rewinding
> it to the point it was at for next-20130709 make sense?

See above.

> Also, on this topic, could you clarify when it would be appropriate
> to do any rebasing. Obviously I am not clear on this.

I notice that you seem to use topic branches that you then merge for
inclusion in -next (and presumably arm-soc).  You should endeavour to not
rebase those topic branches once they have been published.  Sometimes it
may be very necessary, but generally it should not (as you would have
done review and testing on them before publishing them, right? ;-)).

You should definitely *not* rebase those branches after you have asked
the arm-soc guys to merge them (unless that rebase is just to pick a new
starting point (though you should generally be able to get that by fast
forwarding into the arm soc tree after the spot where your stuff was
merged).  You should also not rebase them if others are using them as a
base for development.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx