Re: linux-next: manual merge of the devicetree tree with the powerpc tree

>> >  +#if defined(CONFIG_EEH)
>> >
>> > Ben, What is this?  I don't want the eeh_dev pointer in struct device_node.  Up to
>> > now we've avoided putting any reverse references into device_nodes.  For everything
>> > else we use a reverse lookup, particularly for devices, to avoid growing the
>> > device_node for each new type of lookup.
>> >

>> It's used to trace the EEH device. When EEH (Enhanced Error Hanlding) is enabled,
>> EEH device will be created against PCI sensitive OF node to trace the EEH state
>> accordingly. Since you don't want see this in struct device_node, we have to change
>> struct eeh_dev for a little bit to so that all struct eeh_dev instances will form
>> a global list and we can search eeh_dev according to the given device_node through
>> the global list.
>>
>> I don't know the policy or rule here for much. I think we can have 2 options.
>>
>> 1. Keep the code as being, and fix it later.
>> 2. Fix it now.
>
>My bad, it's a mis-review, I thought it was still in pci_dn, I din't
>catch Gavin moving it to device-node.
>
>Yes, Gavin, we need to do something else, a chained list we walk or
>something like that. For the "fast path" which is when we have a pci_dev
>around, we can either add it to dev_archdata or hijack the pci-dev
>platform_data (I don't think anything uses it, Grant, do you know of
>anything ?)

Yes, Ben. I'll come up another patch on top of -next. It's supposed
to introduce global list for newly created eeh_dev and retrieve
the corresponding eeh_dev according to the given device_node through
it.

>The patches are already in -next and I won't rebase, so we need to fix
>it on top of the existing patches. Gavin, can you make a patch that puts
>it back into pci_dn to begin with, then we can contemplate what better
>long term solution we have ?

I've had something more in my private git tree regarding this. I'll
talk with you for your comments ;-)

Thanks,
Gavin