Re: Need help to measure and tune the latency in Linux RT

Hello Android Techies and others,

I am still debugging this issue to understand the traces generated. I
am debugging at this level for first time, and now i am bit familiar
with traces.

To summarize again:

I have ARM OMAP embedded system, running vanilla Linux 2.6.33-29 cross
compiled with PREEMPT patch. There is a application, say Thread_1 (RR,
with highest priority) which need to send and receive data every 2ms,
or 4ms or 8 ms etc. (configurable). This data is small and atmost it
will be 1 ethernet frame (1500 bytes). So i expect this application to
execute for very short time but regularly without missing deadlines
(There is deviation allowed with watchdog timeout but in worst cases).
There is another process running (RR, lower pri than Thread_1) on same
system which transfers images on request from outside users/HMI. When
this is enabled and i see a frequesnt timeout for the time critical RT
thread_1. Even if this image transfer is not enabled then also i see
Kernel Oops after long time, say 1 day.
All data is flowing on ethernet.

I had increaed the KSOFTIRQD policy and priority to be more than my
time critical application , but it didn't help much. Now i am trying
to understand the debug traces generated to know where the latency is
coming from.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Regards
Ashoka.  K