Re: How does boot loader tell the kernel, the location of initrd?

> I am experimenting with initrd and my initrd fails to mount. My
> bootloader (U-BOOT) coorectly loads the initrd into RAM as I can see.
>
> I am wondering how does the kernel get to know the address at which
> the initrd is loaded by boot loader? How does the boot loader
> communicate this to the kernel?
>
> Any code references will be appreciated.

Perhaps lib_mips/mips_linux.c in the U-Boot tree is what you are looking for.
That code sets up environment parameters that are parsed by the Linux kernel
later on (see rd_start_early() and friends in arch/mips/kernel/setup.c in the
Linux tree).

Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for. However, I noticed
that U-BOOT passes these parameters in environment variables, where as
Linux kernel expects them as command l ine arguments. It wasn't
working for me untill I made changes in U-BOOT to pass them in command
line arguments.

Why is this discrepancy in U-BOOT and the kernel? Are other people
working on the (linux+U-BOOT) combo making the changes that I did?

Thanks,,

Rajat
-