Re: How does boot loader tell the kernel, the location of initrd?

Every bootloader has different mechanism for loading the kernel
image. I am talking of Grub boot loader here. Grub uses something
called a multiboot specification. The specification documents the
mechanism for passing data to and from the kernel image.
Search for multiboot specification and i think u will get all ur answers.

U can also look at arch/i386/boot/bootsect.S for the linux kernel
multiboot header related info.

regards,
~rpm

Rajat Jain wrote:
Hi,

I am experimenting with initrd and my initrd fails to mount. My
bootloader (U-BOOT) coorectly loads the initrd into RAM as I can see.

I am wondering how does the kernel get to know the address at which
the initrd is loaded by boot loader? How does the boot loader
communicate this to the kernel?

Any code references will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rajat

PS: I am not using initramfs (emebedding root filesystem into kernel image).
-

-