after effects of a kernel API change

Hi list,

Whenever there is a change in the kernel API (or a new API is
introduced), all of the drivers that use the older API need to be
changed (or recommended to be changed). I believe it is the
responsibility of the person changing the kernel API, to change all
the drivers that have found their way into the kernel code?

How does this happen? Because the person who brought the change in the
API might not know the internals of all the drivers?

Is there any way volunteers like me can help in this exercise?

Thanks,

Dan
-