Re: Sequence of events at boot

it must be finding jstarrc _somewhere_, otherwise it
would have complained. did you try setting the default
runlevel to someother value( like 1) and booting ?
it may not be about processing jstarrc, but something
after that. you never know.

all bootup scripts should be in /etc/init.d/
try grepping for jstarrc there. you can probably
see what is getting executed after 'processing jstarrc'.