Linux Startup Issues

I am running Debian Linux, and every time I have to reboot, it tries to
start the Gnome graphical interface.  There's always an error, "I cannot
start the X server (your graphical interface).  It is likely that it is not
set up correctly.  Would you like to view the server output to diagnose the
problem?".  When I say yes, it appears that the problem is "no screens
found".  I tried editing the XF86Config-4 file, but I have no idea what to
look for, or what to change.  I also tried running the XFreeConfig program,
but while testing, it gets to a certain video mode, and freezes up.

I tried an "apt-get install XFree86", but it tells me that it can't find
XFree86.

Any idea what I need to do to get this fixed?

Thanks,
Jesse

-