Re: Lost HD Partition

On 06-22, Peter wrote:
> Trying Hal's suggestion:
>
> /sbin/e2fsck -b 32768 /dev/hda6
> e2fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
> /sbin/e2fsck: Invalid argument while trying to open /dev/hda6
>
> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
> filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
> is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
>    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
>

> /sbin/mke2fs -n /dev/hda6
>
> mke2fs 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
> Filesystem label=
> OS type: Linux
> Block size=4096 (log=2)
> Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
> 244320 inodes, 487966 blocks
> 24398 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
> First data block=0
> 15 block groups
> 32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
> 16288 inodes per group
> Superblock backups stored on blocks:
>        32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912
>
> Trying these backup superblocks /sbin/e2fsck -b * /dev/hda6, I get with
> each: Invalid argument while trying to open /dev/hda6
>
> Since apparently the superblock is corrupted and the partion has not
> been formated since, therefore the data should still be on the disk.
> So what other alternate superblock can be tried?
> Yet
> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> filesystem.
>
> It seems I am kind of stuck.

	Bummer.. Really grabbing at straws: What might happen if you
booted the machine with a rescue disk that ran a kernel from RAM
then use dd to copy the contents of hda6 to another clean drive
fitted, temporarily, in the machine?? Since hda6 is a virtual
partition, copying it to a primary partition may work?? Depends on
how important that partition is I guess..

	If all those superblock backups are corrupted, it seems
nothing would work though.. I don't think 'sfdisk' will help in this
case either.. Good Luck..

--

    Hal - in Terra Alta, WV/US - Slackware GNU/Linux 10.1   (2.4.29)
.